Top ^

Kenai Peninsula Historical Photo Repository

thumbnail
Click image to enlarge

Search Filter(s):

Bear Den Bar, Soldotna mid 1960's

The Bear Den Bar, one of the first buildings in Soldotna, Alaska. It was built in 1950 by Joe Faa and Emmett Karsten, operated by Faa for a short time, then sold to the long-time owners, Chell and Maxine Bear. Beside the usual disbursements of a bar, it served as a community hub. Directions to anyone or anyplace could be had from the bartender. Men dropped in to learn of job opportunities. Elections were held here, even the election to become a state in August 1958. Also seen is a later concrete building of the late 1960's which housed a liquor store.

Individuals

n/a

Collection

Mullen Collection

Location

Sterling Highway, Soldotna, Alaska

Date

Mid-1960s

Photographer

Jo Godes

Image Type

colored photo

Dimensions

9cmx9cm

Condition

good

Identified By

Marge Mullen

Date Cataloged

2000-10-05

Archive Location

KPC Anthropology Lab


Use Agreement and Restrictions

All of the photographs in this collection are for personal, educational, or research use only. These images cannot be used for political, commercial, or advertising purposes. At the present time the college does not have the capabilities to reproduce prints from the image scans. For technical inquiries, or to report errors, please contact webmaster@alaska.edu.