Bachelor of Social Work
Making a Difference....One Life at a Time
There are two options for Homer area residents seeking a BSW.
Students can begin by completing their freshman and sophomore classes at KBC or using a combination of e-learning options. They can then benchmark their progress with an AA degree and choose between UAA's Anchorage on campus program or UAF's e-learning program.
An advisor can help you determine which option works best with your career and educational goals and to begin a program plan.
UAF Department of Social Work
UAF offers an e-learning option that enables students from across Alaska to earn their B.A. in social work from their home communities.
Social work students follow a sequenced academic study of:
- Social welfare policy and services
- Human behavior
- Values and ethics
- Direct practice methods
- In their senior year, students are allowed to practice social work, under the supervision of a field instructor, in a social service agency.
The social work program affords opportunities for students to:
- Discover more about themselves as they work to improve the quality of life for others
- Advocate for issues of social and economic justice for vulnerable populations
- Acquire the skills, knowledge, and values to work with the diverse people and geographic challenges unique to Alaska
UAF Department of Social Work Brochure
UAA School of Social Work
The University of Alaska Anchorage School of Social Work provides social work education through its Baccalaureate Social Work (BSW) Program, Master of Social Work (MSW) Program, Distance Delivered Master of Social Work (MSW) Program, and two Post-Graduate Certificate Programs.
Within an overall emphasis on consumer-centered planned change, the Bachelor of Social Work degree program at University of Alaska Anchorage is guided by the following principles:
- Social work practice is based on selective use of knowledge in planned efforts with human systems and social problems
- Social work practice recognizes human diversity as a strength
- Social work practice is based on professional values and ethics
- Social work practice is based on professional relationships
- Social work practice is based on reciprocal role performance
- Social work practice is based on a strengths perspective
UAA BSW Brochure
UAA BSW Student Handbook