The U.S. Department of Education selects 30 percent of financial aid applications for verification. The FAO is required to collect and verify the accuracy of reported information on flagged applications, prior to determining financial aid eligibility. An application is considered incomplete, and federal aid cannot be awarded, if requested documents are outstanding.
Copies of the following may be requested:
1. Income tax returns.
2. Verification of household size.
3. Child support payments received or paid out.
4. Statements of untaxed income.
5. Verification of number of family members in college.
6. If military, copies of Leave/Earnings Statements for previous tax year (all 12 months).