Skip Navigation
"Find your place at Kenai Peninsula College."

2014-15 Catalog

Resident and Non-Resident Tuition

Kenai Peninsula College is currently waiving non-resident tuition. This waiver does not apply to non-resident students taking distance-delivered courses while residing outside the state of Alaska.

Students eligible for Alaska resident tuition include:

Alaska residents as defined below:

  • Members of the United States military on active duty (stationed in Alaska) and members of the Alaska National Guard, their spouses and dependent children;
  • Residents of British Columbia, the Yukon, Northwest or Nunavut Territories;
  • Students from other states or provinces whose public universities waive non-resident charges for Alaska residents and students from foreign cities and provinces that have partnerships with Alaska or specific Alaska communities (lists of approved programs are published online in UA Board of Regents regulations); 
  • Exchange students attending the UA as part of an approved exchange program;
  • Students participating in the UA Scholars Program;
  • Students participating in the UA College Savings Plan who meet eligibility criteria as established by the Education Trust of Alaska. 

For purposes of tuition assessment, a “resident” is any person who, prior to the published first day of instruction at his or her home campus:

  • Has been physically present in Alaska for two years (apart from documented absences due to illness, vacations, attending another educational institution while maintaining Alaska residency, or other absences not exceeding a total of 120 days in the two-year period) or is eligible to receive a Permanent Fund Dividend;
  • And declares the intent to remain in Alaska indefinitely.

A dependent child (unmarried, younger than age 24, and financially dependent on his or her parent or guardian) will be considered a resident if he or she has a parent or guardian that qualifies as an Alaska resident as defined above. Dependent children of alumni who have received an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree from the University of Alaska also qualify for resident tuition.

A student will be considered non-resident if within two years prior to applying for residency, he or she:

  • Carried out any act inconsistent with Alaska residency;
  • Was claimed as a dependent child of a non-resident of Alaska for federal income tax purposes during the most recent tax year;
  • Paid resident tuition at an educational institution in another state during the past two years.


E-mail: Webmaster  |  (877) 262-0330  |  Contact Us  |  © 2014 Kenai Peninsula College, All Rights Reserved