Skip Navigation
"Find your place at Kenai Peninsula College."

2014-15 Catalog

Non-Traditional Credit  

Non-traditional credit evaluations are available for accepted degree-seeking UAA/KPC students. Documenting military or occupational training, taking local or national examinations, are some of the methods used. The specific processes are listed below.

Certified Experience Credit

UAA may award elective or specific course credit for learning that is documented with a professional certification or completion of exams that lead to certification. These certificates indicate that individuals have met certain standards and demonstrated specific competencies. Credit arrangements are currently in effect for the following:

  • Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) by Dental Assisting National Board Examination (DANB) (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • Certified Professional Secretary (CPS) Examination (contact the Community & Technical College, Computer and Electronics Technologies Department)
  • Child Development Certificate from the Council on Professional Recognition (contact the College of Education)
  • Department of Defense Fire & Emergency Services — multiple (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • Federal Aviation Administration Certificates or Knowledge Tests — multiple (contact the Community & Technical College, Aviation Technology Division)
  • Federal Wildland Fire Management Training Program — multiple (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) — multiple (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) (contact the College of Health, School of Nursing)
  • National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) — multiple (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • National Wildlife Coordinating Group (NWFG) —multiple (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • Southcentral Foundation Dental Assisting Training Program (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • State of Alaska EMT/Paramedic — multiple (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health) 
  • State of Alaska Fire Certifications — multiple (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security FEMA Emergency Management Institute — multiple (contact the College of Health, School of Allied Health)
  • U.S. Department of Labor Certificate of Completion of Apprenticeship (contact the Community & Technical College, Career and Technical Education Department)

Business or industry credit: Recommendations for business or industry credit equivalents are found in the American Council on Education’s National Guide. They cover courses or formal instruction offered by businesses, government agencies, labor unions and professional or voluntary associations. At this time UAA does not accept recommendations related to massive open online courses (MOOCs).

Local Credit by Examination

Accepted degree- or certificate-seeking students may be awarded credit through locally developed comprehensive examinations on specific subjects. However, credit by examination is not available for all courses. Applications for and information on specific courses available through local credit by examination may be obtained from departments or the Advising and Testing Center. There is a fee charged for local credit by examination.

General criteria for local credit by examination include:

  1. Courses with numbers below 100 may not be taken through credit by examination.
  2. Only regular catalog courses may be challenged. Special topics courses, trial courses, independent study courses, and practicum courses may not be taken through credit by examination.
  3. When an appropriate examination exists, CLEP, DSST, ACT-PEP, or other national examinations may be administered instead of a local examination.
  4. Determination of which courses may be taken through local credit by examination and construction of the examinations is at the discretion of the appropriate department.
  5. Local credit by examination is not awarded for a course that duplicates one for which credit has already been granted.
  6. Students are awarded credit and a grade of P (pass) if they successfully pass the local examination. If the examination is not passed, the course is not recorded on the student’s transcript. Grades for courses taken through local credit by examination do not carry grade points used in calculating student GPAs.
  7. Credit awarded through local credit by examination is considered nonresident credit.
  8. There is no limit to the number of credits that may be acquired through the local credit by examination process.
  9. Students have one year from the date of application to take the local examination.
  10. Students may not request local credit-by-exam for an audited course until the following academic year.

Military Credit

Elective credits may be awarded to students who have completed active-duty military service, in accordance with ACE Guide credit use.

Additionally, credits may be granted for formal service schools and the primary MOS/Rating as recommended in the Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services prepared by the American Council on Education. Students who wish to use military credit to meet degree requirements should work with an academic advisor to submit a Request for Evaluation of Military Training.  

The Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOCAD and SOCOAST) program allows active-duty personnel to finish approved associate degree programs without losing credits as they transfer during their military careers.  To graduate from these programs, the residency requirement is 3 semester credits and an overall GPA of 2.00. 

Contact the Veteran Services Coordinator at KRC or KBC Enrollment Services regarding required documentation and forms. Students should work carefully with advisors as transferring credit may limit elective hours as they progress towards their degree. 

National Credit by Examination

UAA awards credit for satisfactory performance on most national examinations. In most cases, passing scores and credits awarded for the following national examinations are based on the most current American Council on Education recommendations or department-approved scores.

A student desiring credit for a national examination must request that an official report of examination scores be sent to the UAA Office of the Registrar. Credit may be received for more than one national examination.

A list of all current national examinations, including current equivalencies to UAA courses, number of credits awarded and minimum required scores, may be found at

E-mail: Webmaster  |  (877) 262-0330  |  Contact Us  |  © 2014 Kenai Peninsula College, All Rights Reserved