Course numbers ending with 97 are reserved for independent study courses. An independent study course consists of topics or problems chosen by the student with the approval of the department concerned, with the supervision of an instructor, and final approval by the dean. These courses are not duplications of and must differ significantly from the catalog course. The independent study provides the opportunity for students who have completed most of the required courses in their program to study topics which are not offered. The policies are as follows:
1. Retroactive registration not permitted.
2. Independent study courses cannot be used to fulfill General Education Requirements (GER) (not petitionable).
3. Forms not correctly completed will not be processed.
4. The deadline for independent study registration is the end of the ninth week of the fall and spring semesters.
5. Only permanent or term faculty are allowed to be the Instructor of Record for the Independent Study courses Deans and Directors may function as Instructor of Record when no permanent or term faculty are available to fulfill that function. The responsibilities of the Instructor of Record are to:
a) See that the grades are entered in UAOnline;
b) See that the material is presented in full in a timely manner;
c) Approve the course study;
d) Approve the credentials of other faculty involved;
e) Agree to assume responsibility if problems arise.
6. The initiation of independent study courses must come from the discipline in charge of the prefix.