High School Students
High school students must apply for a waiver to university policy to attend KPC. Such students are restricted to a maximum of seven credits per semester and course selection is restricted to 100 or 200 level courses only.
To apply for a High School Student Waiver, students must:
At the Kenai River Campus:
- Complete the High School New Student Orientation online (click the NSO link on the KPC homepage, www.kpc.alaska.edu), print out the certificate of completion and follow the directions in the Orientation;
- Present a copy of SAT/ACT scores, or take the ACCUPLACER placement test;
- Fill out the High School Student Waiver Application form with student, parent and high school counselor signatures;
- Bring the Certificate of Completion, the High School Waiver form with the desired classes indicated and with all required signatures completed, and a copy of the SAT/ACT/ACCUPLACER results, to the correct High School Advising and Signatures session (see the academic calendar for dates);
- Come to KRC to register at the time and date specified for your group (see the course schedule for dates;
- Contact the KRC counseling faculty for questions, or if additional help with the process is needed.
At the Kachemak Bay Campus:
- Bring the completed High School Student Waiver form signed -- by the student’s high school counselor (or principal), parent, and the student along with a completed registration form, to the registration desk at KBC’s east campus.
JUMPSTART (JUNIORS AND SENIORS)
High School students that have junior or senior standing may apply for the JumpStart Program – a program sponsored by the Kenai Peninsula Borough that provides discounted tuition for qualifying high school seniors and juniors. Students in home school programs must show evidence of junior or senior standing, as well as Kenai Peninsula Borough residency, to be eligible. JumpStart students are allowed to take up to six credits per semester at the discounted rate. All additional tuition and fees, plus the cost of textbooks are the responsibility of the student. High School students are normally limited to a total of seven credits per semester, but may apply for a waiver to take additional credits. Regular charges for tuition and fees apply to all credits beyond the first six per semester.
JumpStart eligibility begins with the fall semester of the student’s junior year and can be used for a maximum of five semesters. Students should print the High School Waiver form from the High School New Student Orientation online at the KPC website and follow the required steps outlined under the JumpStart section for whichever campus or extension site they are attending. A KPC counselor will be the final signature required and will not sign the form unless all other signatures have been obtained.
SOPHOMORES AND BELOW
High school students in the 10th, and 9th grades are not eligible for JumpStart, they pay the full tuition rate. They must print the High School Student Waiver form from the High School New Student Orientation online at the KPC website and complete all of the applicable steps. In addition to the SAT/ACT/ ACCUPLACER results and signed form, the KPC Counselors and Advisors may also require a high school transcript and/or additional documentation of academic ability, and may request to meet with a parent. Students below the 9th grade level are not eligible to take classes at KPC.
TECH PREP CLASSES
These are dual-credit (credit from both KPC and Kenai Peninsula Borough School District high school) Career and Technical classes that are taught at the high school by high school instructors. These courses have been reviewed by KPC faculty and determined to be equivalent to college offerings. All Tech Prep classes lead to a degree or certificate program. Students are not required to take the ACCUPLACER test but must complete the class(es) with a B or higher letter grade to receive college credit. They will be assessed a $25 per-credit fee for the classes. Contact a KPC advisor or a high school counselor for a list of classes.