Skip Navigation
"Find your place at Kenai Peninsula College."

Grades and Grade Change


  • Academic letter grades are used to calculate grade point averages (GPA) using a 4-point system
    • A= 4.0; honor grade indicating mastery of the required course work
    • B= 3.0; high level of performance in meeting course requirements
    • C= 2.0; satisfactory level of performance in meeting course requirements
    • D= 1.0; lowest passing grade; may not be acceptable to satisfy requirements in certain majors
    • F=  0.0; indicates failure; must be repeated with a satisfactory grade to receive credit toward graduation
  •  GPA is a measure of scholastic success; credits accepted in transfer are not used to calculate KPC GPA, but are used to calculate the students' overall GPA for graduating with honors
    •  GPA calculated by multiplying number of credits by grade point value to give the total number of grade points for each course
    • The total number of grade points is then divided by the total number of credits attempted
  • Non-academic grades do not carry grade points and are not used to calculate GPA
    •  CR: credit received for course
    • NC: no credit received for course
    •  DF: deferred; temporary grade that indicates course requirements cannot be completed by the end of the semester
    •   I:  incomplete; grade which indicates additional course work must be completed to get a final grade. Grade is used at the  
            discretion of the instructor and may be given for unavoidable absence or other conditions beyond control of the student where
            course work already completed is a grade of C or better
    •   P: pass; indicates passing work
    • NP: indicates work that is not passing
  • Other designations
    • AU: audit; indicates enrollment for information only; no credit earned 
    •  W: withdrawal from a course 

Grade Change

  • Other than incomplete (I) or deferred (DF), grades submitted by instructors are assumed to be final grades 
  • Grades may not be changed unless a legitimate error has been made on the part of the instructor 
  • Corrections of grading errors must be made by the end of the next semester following the one that the grade was originally assigned 
  • A Change of Grade form must be submitted to the Registrar by the instructor, not the student 
  • Grades cannot be changed to audit since the “AU” designation is a registration status 
  • Grades cannot be changed to no credit since the “NC” designation is a registration status 
  •  Incompletes, “I” grades, are submitted for work not completed by the student; work must be completed and the change submitted within 
     one year from the time the “I” was awarded if the “I” is to be changed to a letter grade on the permanent record
  • If the “I” is not removed during the one-year period, it will remain as an incomplete on the student’s permanent record 
  •  Incompletes may be changed to letter grades: A, B, C, D, F, P, or NP; they cannot be changed to "W"
E-mail: Webmaster  |  (877) 262-0330  |  Contact Us  |  © 2014 Kenai Peninsula College, All Rights Reserved