Kachemak Bay Campus
Adult Basic Education
KBC's Adult Basic Education Program is available from August to May and offers the following:
- Free classes and individual study programs in basic math, reading, writing, and spelling.
- Preparation for the GED exams in math, language arts, science, and social studies.
- GED testing in our Pearson-Vue test center.
- Preparation for the college ACCUPLACER (English) or ALEXS (math) exams.
- Assistance with job readiness such as resume writing and interview skills.
- English language classes for speakers of other languages (including reading, writing, and conversation).
- Citizenship preparation classes.
There is no charge for these classes and adults may enroll at any time between August and April.
Call (907) 235-7743 or email for more information.
GED Testing Process
- Step 1: Call us at (907) 235-7743 to set up your pre-GED assessment (TABE).
- There is no charge for TABE testing. It's important to take a TABE test to assess your skills. Students with tenth grade or above TABE scores can take the official GED practice test (GEDReady). Those with lower scores can attend free KBC classes or receive individualized instruction.
- Step 2: Take the GED practice tests.
- There are four separate practice tests (GED Ready) that can be taken online: math, language arts, science and social studies. They cost $6 each. Students who are enrolled in the KBC program can take the practice tests for free. Your score report and study plan can be printed and presented to a GED facilitator at KBC for advising. Note that computer and calculator skills are required to take these practice tests. Students are encouraged to take advantage of the free online tutorial and practice test that is available at the same site.
- Step 3: Determine if you are ready for the Official GED Test.
- Ready? When you have GEDReady scores over 145 each, you are ready to take the official exams. The tests require seven hours of testing that can be completed over multiple days. Schedule your test with Chris Godfrey (KBC GED Examiner) at 235-1601. The official GED exam costs $30 for each section, $120 total. For official testing, remember to bring a non-expired, government issued, photo ID with your signature and a secondary ID with your name and signature (or your SS number printed on an official document). In order to pass the exam, you must receive a score of 145 or better.
- Not ready? Take some free courses at KBC and prepare yourself for this very important exam! All you have to purchase is the GED calculator if needed for studying. Classes run September through April. Stop by Bayview Hall and pick up a class schedule today. Visit us any time during the academic year!
- The official GED can only be taken at an official Pearson Vue Testing Site. Kachemak Bay Campus is an official testing site.