Top ^

Kenai Peninsula Historical Photo Repository

thumbnail
Click image to enlarge

Search Filter(s):

Alaska Road Commission equipment and crew, Soldotna 1949

Pictured are some Alaska Road Commission crew members and a belly-dumper during the time of Sterling Highway construction. This section of highway began in 1947 at Hidden Lake. The plan took the road from there across the Kenai Peninsula to Homer across major streams: the Kenai River (covered bridge at Cooper Landing, then again at Soldotna), Moose River, Soldotna Creek, Kasilof River, Ninilchik River, Deep Creek, and Anchor River. Ralph Soberg was the superintendent, and used a cut-and-fill method to create a road that was passable to Soldotna with four-wheel drive by late winter 1948. The Soldotna Bridge over the Kenai River was completed in 1950. Most of the crew became long-time residents.

Individuals

unidentified crewmembers

Collection

Mullen Collection

Location

Soldotna, Alaska

Date

1949

Photographer

Ray Sandstrom

Image Type

color slide

Dimensions

5cm-5cm

Condition

good

Identified By

Marge Mullen

Date Cataloged

2000-11-01

Archive Location

KPC Anthropology Lab


Use Agreement and Restrictions

All of the photographs in this collection are for personal, educational, or research use only. These images cannot be used for political, commercial, or advertising purposes. At the present time the college does not have the capabilities to reproduce prints from the image scans. For technical inquiries, or to report errors, please contact webmaster@alaska.edu.