Top ^

Kenai Peninsula Historical Photo Repository

thumbnail
Click image to enlarge

Search Filter(s):

Sterling Highway (original) Rock Camp Hill, Skilak Lake Area, 1950

Pictured is a gravel surface on the road that was part of the original Sterling Highway before becoming a section of Skilak Lake Road. Looking west from Rock Camp Hill. Rock Camp was the name of the Alaska Road Commission Camp near Hidden Lake where the 300,000-acre fire called the 1947 Kenai Burn began. This hillside was challenging for the "powder monkeys." Also in view are Alcatraz (all name choices by ARC employees) & Skilak (lake of the sky--from a Dena'ina name) lakes.

Individuals

n/a

Collection

Mullen Collection

Location

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Date

1950

Photographer

Ray Sandstrom

Image Type

color slide

Dimensions

5cm-5cm

Condition

good

Identified By

Marge Mullen

Date Cataloged

2000-10-24

Archive Location

KPC Anthropology Lab


Use Agreement and Restrictions

All of the photographs in this collection are for personal, educational, or research use only. These images cannot be used for political, commercial, or advertising purposes. At the present time the college does not have the capabilities to reproduce prints from the image scans. For technical inquiries, or to report errors, please contact webmaster@alaska.edu.