Disability Support Services
KPC's Disability Support Services is committed to coordinating support to provide equal educational opportunities for students who experience disabilities. There are two primary areas in which DSS serves:
- Provides services for students who experience disabilities
- Sharing resources with the KPC community
To access support services, students should provide current disability documentation to the DSS contact, Diane Taylor at (907) 262-0328 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Services include but are not limited to, American Sign Language interpreters, note-taking assistance, testing adjustments, ergonomic furniture, textbooks in alternate formats (e.g., large print, audio, e-text, etc.) and access to adaptive technology.
Students attending KPC who experience disabilities have a right to:
- Equal access to courses, programs, services, and activities offered through the College
- Individualized accommodations
- Effective academic adjustments/aids
- All other rights available to other students at KPC
Students attending UAA who experience disabilities have a responsibility to:
- Self-identify and self-advocate
- Make reasonable requests in a timely manner
- Provide appropriate documentation
- Meet qualifications and maintain essential standards for courses, programs and activities
- Follow university procedures
- Arrange for certain services and devices which are outside the scope of Disability Support Services
- Services include but are not limited to attendant care, mobility training, and financial aid; Devices include but are not limited to hearing aids, eyeglasses, wheelchairs, computing technology that exceeds what is available for all students at KPC/UAA
Early planning is encouraged to allow DSS staff adequate time to make the necessary arrangements for support services. Referrals can be made through local agencies, Student Services or by self-referral.
KPC/UAA is an EE/AO employer and educational institution.